Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Head WOD

As a result of a few discussions over the last few weeks.....regarding training and life, I'll offer three thoughts that might be helpful. If so: good. If not: fine. Here you go.

Change, Contentment and Commitment.

Change: We must accept what we can not change and fight like our hair is on fire for what we can. Just make sure the fights we are fighting are Good ones. Fighting for what one can not change is a fools mission. Fighting for Good Change is worth the fight regardless of the outcome. Let's be sure it is Good change before we burn our hair off going after it.

Contentment: A popular mantra is: "be content with where you are". Hum. To be content with mediocrity and slothfulness? This seems both foolish and lazy. It is a dangerous and tricky trail to navigate what is appropriate contentment and what is excuse making. I am so glad people before us were discontent with Polio or genocide. On a lesser scale, I am happy that my children were not content small minds and a small view of the world, but choose to educate themselves. On a CF level, being content with weakness and belly fat is something the majority of us can choose to change and should get committed to changing. Contentment here is often confused with laziness, whether one can afford the money or time for a gym or not. If one is working hard, making honest and noble efforts at improving ones world and self (not just pretending they are) then the art and discipline of Contentment is something to develop.

We cannot change our parents. We cannot change genetics. We cannot change our history. We cannot change others thoughts about us. Learn contentment here.

We can change how we view our parents, embrace the mystery and creational design of our genetics and to face our history boldly and make it into something that inspires hope in others. Content people have learned how to do these things. There can be a practical and wise beauty in a healthy discontentment however. Those who are discontent with weakness and lack of health will make the changes.

Commitment: Another tricky idea, fraught with land mines, that can serve us, but can also bleed over into areas of life that harm us. Some say: "Never Quit!". I say: "Idiots!" But I say it without judgement as I have embraced the idea without limits in my teen years. It worked in controlled athletic environments and in survival situations where staying alive was the big idea of the moment. However, I and my climbing partners are alive today, in part, because we knew when to quit and abandon the summit effort. It can be healthy to quit a hobby or change plans on a vacation when it is clearly not working out. There are many dead today because the mantra drove them like a thoughtless false god. It is better ask: "What am I committed to and is it Good"? Then follow that up with: "Is my commitment to what is Good preventing me from being/doing something that is Better"?

Being committed to fitness is a good thing clearly, but, we should look inside and ask: is it blocking a higher and possibly more noble idea, such as good parenting, less stress or being a more available and engaged husband?

Make good Changes. Be Content with what we cannot change. Be Committed to high and noble ideas.

There you go....I am going off to be content with what I said here and with all that could be said, and wasn't. Feels nice. However, I am not content with my lack of training these days.....so I am about to change that and get committed to some more regular WOD's.

No comments: